Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Since many of you are wondering , I follow the method of baking repeatedly the figure, when it comes to sculpting polymer clay dolls. I make the head first, using a foil core to have a solid base , bake it, and set it aside. I then make the body (torso actually),again with a foil core, and attach the head, then guess what, I bake it again. I then make the feet and hands and attach them to the torso and give my figure a final visit in the oven. I only use Cernit Doll (flesh color preferably) for clay, which has an excellent resistance and behavior in multiple bakings (does not darken and blending raw clay over oven-hard pieces is very easy, with no visible seams).
Since most figures are to be dressed in various ways afterwards, extra care should be applied in the details of the head and hands ,though for a professional look  you have to sculpt all the details even if that body part is covered with clothes. And remember, sometimes the hard part is not actually sculpting the doll but dressing it and giving it personality. Sometimes it's hard to choose the right outfit, and a wrong choice can ruin the impression of an otherwise perfect figure. Solution: experiment. A lot. If you are afraid to experiment you are never gonna learn and achieve a higher level of technique. If you are making a specific figure ( character , historic figure e.t.c.) learn all you can about it, coz even the tiniest details count.
I haven't forgotten to post the new photos of Victoria but I was preoccupied in making my new figure , which is now in the stage of costuming. That's gonna take some time, you'll see what I mean when I post the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment